Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Kosher Cafe with Atmosphere


My husband and I shared a uniquely pleasant lunch today, the third anniversary of our immigration to the Holy Land. My husband chose the location - Cafe Hagiva (just a few bus stops past my daughter's school, where we had a meeting this morning). The outside looks like an old warehouse, but the inside is spacious, with post-modern art, and a large bar. An eclectic mix of heavy wood chairs and tables fills the dining hall and trails through the sparse grove out back.

The weather was perfect, so we took our chances and sat outdoors. (I can't stand cigarette smoke!) We had the most pleasant meal I can ever recall.
The menu was the standard dairy cuisine - quiches, pasta, fish, pizza, calzones, etc. We ordered the antipasti platter and four cheese lasagna. The ricotta in the lasagna was very tasty, but I can't say there was anything very memorable about the food. However, I would definitely return for the atmosphere. The palm and orange trees scattered through the seating area offer a sense of privacy and the piano music made it feel like a special occasion.

I hope to return one evening at an appropriate time to order from the extensive drink menu. Speaking of appropriate times, you can order off the breakfast menu until 4:00 pm! So no one will stop you from ordering the breakfast platter with sunny-side-up eggs (eynayim - eyes - in Hebrew) or shakshuka in the middle of the day. (Maybe even with a cocktail... scandalous!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...