Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fruit Compote Intuition

Last month my husband requested that I make fruit compote for dinner on the first night of Passover. It was a tradition in his house growing up. I emailed his mom for the recipe, but her version had too many packaged foods that we don't use on Passover. I'm not a huge fan of fruit compote, but I threw some things together in a simmering pot and it was delicious!

Enjoy it on it's own or use it as a filling for Pesach Crepes.


I used:
  • Pitted prunes (dried plums), coarsely chopped
  • Dried apricots,  coarsely chopped
  • Chopped fresh apples
  • Sweet red wine
  • Fresh orange juice
  • Orange zest
  • Freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon
  • a pinch of salt
  • (optional) fresh or crystallized gingerThis was especially good as a dessert or breakfast spread in Pesach crepes.

Is it more than a coincidence that prune-based dessert became so popular on a holiday with a bad reputation for "clogging the pipes"?

For the record, below is the Huber family recipe:
Fruit Compote for 12
1 1/2 lb. package dried prunes (24 oz)
2 C dried apricots
20 oz can pineapple chunks, undrained
31 oz. can cherry pie filling 
3/8 C. dry white wine
2-3 C. water

Arrange prunes, apricots, pineapple in baking dish. Combine pie filling, 2 cups water, and wine. Pour over fruit. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make a similar compote. It really is delicious, so consider making it when you can use all of the ingredients. My aunt Susan makes it, and she substitutes canned tart cherries for the pie filling. It is still pretty sweet, but I prefer it to the overly sweet taste of the pie filling.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...