dessert, and great for guests. I like to double or triple the recipe to make several batches on different days/weeks, or freeze the topping in portions. It's best served warm, but makes a fine cold midnight snack. It can also be made a day ahead.
1. Slice 3-4 apples in half with a large knife, then scoop out the seeds and stem parts with a melon baller.
2. Mix together:
a little over half stick/quarter cup melted butter or margarine or fat of your choice (I've used part olive oil or coconut oil.)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat) or gluten-free 'flour' of your choice
1/2 cup brown sugar (or white sugar with date syrup or molasses or agave syrup)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of salt
3. Fill and top apple halves with the mixture.
4. Bake at 350 F/180 C until tops are golden brown and apples swell, about 30 minutes.
Also see - "Apple Crisp - No sugar added"
- a compilation of "Crusts and Crumbles".
- Upside-Down Stuffed Peppers Vegetarian Stuffing
UPDATES: The last couple times I made this I included ground walnuts or hazelnuts. You can tweak the recipe to your tastes. The leftover topping is also a real treat in yogurt.