Thursday, February 17, 2011

Repeats Including Zucchini Muffins

I began writing this blog for myself.  I wanted to record what my family liked so I could make it again.  Today, I want to mention a couple things that I have been making again, and again, and again.

My kids don't care for soup.  But I love Roasted Butternut Squash soup so much, I've been making it almost every week.  I often add some beer or Irish stout.  It seems easier every time, and the peels taste great in soup stock.

I've also made whole wheat zucchini muffins several times.  My kids love eating them, and I love knowing they're healthier than pasta.

Last week my daughter was home with an ear infection.  I asked her if she wanted to make muffins.  "I can help, for real??  Not just watch? Really help!?" was her excited reply.

She did get to really help.  Its a lot easier to be patient with only one kid home.  She counted in the prunes,  sprinkled in the salt and cinnamon, added premeasured ingredients, and did some excellent mixing.

Below is the recipe I am currently using.  Makes 24 muffins. [UPDATE: Zucchini Carrot Muffins - No Sugar Added]
  1. Grate 3 zucchini and 2-3 carrots.  Put in a large bowl.
  2. Blend2 eggs, 1/2 cup olive oil, 8 prunes, and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  3. Mix separately in a measuring cup:
    2 cups whole wheat four
    approx. 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    About 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    approx 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar (alternatively you could add vanilla extract straight to the set of ingredients in step #2.)
    1 cup raisins
  4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet by hand until the flour is just incorporated (don't blend smooth.)
  5. Pour into greased muffin tins or a pan.  I use a soup ladle.  Silicon muffin tins don't need to be greased.  Stainless steel or aluminum do best when lightly greased and floured.
  6. Bake at 350 F or 175 C for 14-25 minutes depending on the size of your muffins or loaf. 

4 comments:

  1. This would be a great way to use up leftover/extra zucchini!!! <3 thanks

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving again the recipe. We also enjoyed that very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't give any food with sugar to my 3 year son - very natural food oriented. And he LOVES muffins. We tried this out tonight and he LOVED THEM!! Thanks for giving us a recipe that is ultra healthy with zero sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi FumblingAngel, I'm glad your son liked these. I kept my kids away from sugar and hydrogenated fats when they were young. If only schools were more supportive of building healthy eating habits! My kids preschool in Florida served white pita with chocolate spread or corn flakes for the mid-morning snack, plus it seemed like they were eating cake because of someone's birthday every week! How about some fruits and veggies or at least whole wheat pita?

    Here is the link for my no sugar added muffins - http://nonrecipe.blogspot.com/2011/06/zucchini-carrot-muffins-no-sugar-added.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...