Sunday, February 13, 2011

Barley Casserole with Mallows, Tomato, & Basil

Last week I made Stinging Nettle Soup with nettles I picked near my building.  This week I collected large, round mallow leaves on the way home from dropping my daughter off at kindergarten. 


If you don't have mallows available, one thing you can take from this post is that barley can be used in casseroles like you might use noodles.  This could have been a casserole with thin layers of barley, spinach, basil, tomato sauce and cheese.  Either way, barley is a very healthy alternative to pasta, and even white rice.
Here is what I did:


  1. Cook barley according to directions.
  2. Spread a thin layer on the bottom on of a glass casserole.
  3. Add 2-3 layers of clean mallow leaves,
  4. 1-2 layers of tomato slices,
  5. 1 layer of basil,
  6. And another layer of barley.
  7. Optional: Top with sautéed bread crumbs with leeks or Parmesan cheese.

Bake enough to soften tomatoes, but do not burn.

I am posting several diabetic friendly dishes this week, including No Sugar Added Apple Crisp (Friday) and Steamed Aromatic Chicken Breast (next Sunday).

This post was featured the Kosher Connection's "Great Blog Swap." Check out "Spinach and Tomato Barley Casserole" at More Quiche Please.

3 comments:

  1. Did you add anything to the barley? It looks like there's a sauce mixed into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't use any sauce in the barley. But you could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here jerry rice. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...